Lotsa Dogs Lotsa Fun

Lotsa Dogs Lotsa Fun
The Big Dogs Wait at The Door

Saturday, December 23, 2006

No sweets for the sweeties!

Holiday time is yucky poop time at The Doggie Den. Not fun! This time of year customers - and especially their kids - insist on giving dogs holiday "treats" that pups cannot digest. It's no treat for the dogs a few hours later, and even less for us when they come to daycare! Not something you get used too, cleaning up that kind of mess several times a day. So I gripe. It helps.

For us the rich holiday goodies may result in a few extra pounds. The cookies, cake, candy, Christmas breads, etc... oooo la la! This time of the year I'm afraid of my bathroom scale! But the consequences for our canine companions are much greater, especially if they ingest too much chocolate. In any form, ranging from one-ounce baking squares to hand-dipped truffles to intense home-made cakes or brownies, chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both methylxanthines than can cause stimulation of the central nervous system, an increase in heart rate and tremors. Clinical signs - vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, and increased thirst, urination and heart rate - can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 2 ounces of baking chocolate by a 10 lb dog.

Thinking sugar-free is okay? It may be a healthier choice for us (and I'm not even sure about that!) but gum or candies made with xylitol can make dogs ill. If they ingest significant amounts, they may develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Also, data from the ASPCA Poison Control Center appears to point to a link between xylitol and liver failure in dogs.

So take care to keep sweets out of your pup's reach - and don't let them in the kitchen unsupervised if you're baking or have left goodies on counters. If you suspect your pup may have eaten chocolate, candies containing xylitol, or any other potentially poisonous substance, CALL YOUR VETERINARIAN OR THE ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER HOTLINE FOR 24 HOUR TELEPHONE ASSISTANCE: 888-426-4435.

The Doggie Den Homepage

Friday, December 01, 2006

Holiday Pet Safety

Goodness, gracious me, but time does fly. It's been weeks long since I blogged! Good to be back, because with the holiday season in full swing, I just have to talk about pet safety.

Courtesy of the Humane Society, here are some important tips:

'Til the season to decorate our homes with live Christmas trees and other holiday greenery. But did you know that some of these yuletide traditions can be hazardous to your pet's health?

* Lovely lilies are commonly used in holiday floral arrangements, but many varieties - inluding Tiger, Asian, Japaneses Show, Stargazer and the Casa Blanca - can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.

* Bag the boughs of holly and mistletoe. Sure, they add a nice touch to your holiday decor, but holly can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy if eaten by your pet. And should he or she sample mistletoe, he/she could suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic.

* Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he or she imbibe.

* Although the potential toxicity of poinsettias is generally overstated, these showy holiday plans can irritate your pet's mouth, and may cause nausea and/or vomiting.

If you suspect that your animal companion has eaten a potentially toxic substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for round-the-clock telephone assistance.

Check out these dog links!

The Doggie Den Homepage