Goodness, gracious me, but time does fly. It's been weeks long since I blogged! Good to be back, because with the holiday season in full swing, I just have to talk about pet safety.
Courtesy of the Humane Society, here are some important tips:
'Til the season to decorate our homes with live Christmas trees and other holiday greenery. But did you know that some of these yuletide traditions can be hazardous to your pet's health?
* Lovely lilies are commonly used in holiday floral arrangements, but many varieties - inluding Tiger, Asian, Japaneses Show, Stargazer and the Casa Blanca - can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.
* Bag the boughs of holly and mistletoe. Sure, they add a nice touch to your holiday decor, but holly can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy if eaten by your pet. And should he or she sample mistletoe, he/she could suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic.
* Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he or she imbibe.
* Although the potential toxicity of poinsettias is generally overstated, these showy holiday plans can irritate your pet's mouth, and may cause nausea and/or vomiting.
If you suspect that your animal companion has eaten a potentially toxic substance, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for round-the-clock telephone assistance.
Check out these dog links!
The Doggie Den Homepage